Elephant Seals

If you ever have a chance to visit the Hearst Castle, I beg you you to drive the ten extra minutes to Piedras Blancas and see these elephant seals for yourself. They are incredibly fun to watch, and I personally think they are so cute! 







Around April of every year, females and juveniles arrive to Piedras Blancas to begin the molt (a period of time to begin new skin and hair). Since these mammals spend much of their time in the ocean, they renew their blood circulation on air/on land around April to May of every year and shed their old skin and hair. I saw a lot of them throwing sand on themselves and I only found out later that they do this to keep themselves cool with the cold sand and to relieve the itching from the molt process. 

Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hi there! My husband and I are newlyweds ♥ We adopted our beagle, Louie, in 2011. This blog allows me to chronicle our lives together as a family. Thank you for stopping by! WWW.KIDGRANNY.BLOGSPOT.COM

8 comments :

  1. That is a lot of seals!! And only 4 hours from where I live :(
    Weekend trip, I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Thanks for the tip :P
    What a view to see all these fat and cute seals lying there c:
    Xx ice pandora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so cute! They don't smell like the seals at San Francisco either!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh!!!! So adorable!! I would be the crazy person wanting to be next to them and petting them all lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wanted to pet them so badly as well! Their coat looks so soft!

      Delete