First year wedding anniversary gift: Harry Potter Monopoly Board


For my first year wedding anniversary gift to my husband, I wanted to get him something special and memorable while still following the traditional gift theme (paper for the first anniversary year).

I thought and thought...and then I remembered that he genuinely wanted to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando, FL for our mini-honeymoon (lol), but we decided to allocate our budget for Europe instead. He's a closet Harry Potter fan, so I wanted to incorporate it into my gift somehow. I thought about surprising him by booking a getaway to Florida to actually visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and using the print out of the ticket as a gift, but he's been slammed with work lately and I knew he wouldn't be able to take much vacation days :( So that idea got nixed.


We were at a toy store one day searching for our nephew's birthday gift, and he mentioned how Monopoly should have a Harry Potter themed one. This gave me an idea, and as soon as we got home, I searched for a Harry Potter themed Monopoly (turns out, Parker Brothers doesn't officially sell one) and came across this DIY post by Robbie C on the Collett Creative website. Thanks to Robbie C, I used his files and followed his instructions and was able to make our own Harry Potter themed Monopoly!! I diligently and secretly worked on this project while my husband was working late evenings. The best part was, he was so surprised and delighted with this gift, and it followed the traditional gift theme (paper) as well!

If you're a Harry Potter and Monopoly fan as well and decide to use Robbie C.'s templates, please do not sell/distribute them, or falsely claim it as your own design!



{side story: we initially planned to get married on October 31, 2012, and were going to have a Harry Potter & Halloween costume themed wedding...but we found out in September that my father and his mother were diagnosed with different types of cancer, so we decided to postpone the wedding until they were healthy. We ended up having a subtle nod to Star Wars since we got married on May 4th}.


Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hi there! My husband and I are newlyweds ♥ We adopted our beagle, Louie, in 2011. This blog allows me to chronicle our lives together as a family. Thank you for stopping by! WWW.KIDGRANNY.BLOGSPOT.COM

8 comments :

  1. What a brilliant birthday present! So much thought and work has gone into this. You're a great wife, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a great gift! that first photo is so so precious! yangkyu and i went to orlando and went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and had butter beer alll day it made me sick :) we always say let's go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yeah, I've heard that the butter beer is very sweet! BTW, exciting news broke out on Tuesday that they're going to open the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Los Angeles by Spring of 2016!!!! We're super excited :)

      Delete
  3. Definitely a great wife and a very cool person Cindy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey dear, this post is really helpful post for me!! I was really confused about anniversary gift for my cousin and you made my work really easy. She is going to have celebrations at some most beautiful outdoor party venues in Los Angeles. I am really excited for attending this destination wedding!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so wonderful! Congratulations for your cousin, and I hope you enjoy L.A.! One of my favorite places in downtown Los Angeles is The Last Bookstore, if you're a fan of books and art.

      Delete