TBT: Undōkai (Tokyo, Japan 1989)


#ThrowbackThursday

Did I ever mention here that I spent a few years as a toddler in Tokyo, Japan?

I was born in the U.S. and soon thereafter my mother, sisters, and I moved to Japan for several years. My father stayed in the U.S. in the hopes to build up his career. We later moved back to the U.S. as an entire family when I was about four to five years old.

This photo was taken on May 28, 1989 in Tokyo, Japan. It was my sister's undōkai (運動会) that day, which is like a mini-olympics for elementary school children. The main events that I can recall my sister participating in from the undōkai are sprinting/relays, tug-o-war, and scavenger hunts. I remember my mom got up really early that day and made a special obentō for my sister {she made a mini version for me}, and we rooted for my sister from the sidelines. I think it was a very busy day for my sister, because I can't find any photos of us together from this day. She might be one of those kids in the background with their P.E. uniforms.

Linking up with Want / Need

Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hi there! My husband and I are newlyweds ♥ We adopted our beagle, Louie, in 2011. This blog allows me to chronicle our lives together as a family. Thank you for stopping by! WWW.KIDGRANNY.BLOGSPOT.COM

6 comments :

  1. HOW CUTE!!! I love your socks and your purse... And that you look happy. :) Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks! My mom said knee-high socks were kinda my *thing* back in the day...Apparently I insisted on wearing knee-high socks all the time, haha.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh I didn't know you lived in Japan!
    You look so adorable in that picture :3
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Little known fact about me :) Since I spent my early years in Japan, my first language is technically Japanese. However, since I barely use Japanese anymore {only to speak to my parents}, my strongest language is now English. Funny how things turn out the way they do!

      Delete
  3. Ah!! I love this picture and story!! And I had no idea you spent time in Japan as a toddler! I think they have similar days in Korea too. I have vague memories :) Well I guess there were days like that in the US when I was in elementary school but they were a bit different. Ah I love fun childhood memories! To be a kid again! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! :) I wasn't old enough to participate in undōkai during my time in Japan, but yeah! You're right, I think we had something similar to this event in the U.S., like in 4th or 5th grade. I just remember I got picked to go against the top runner in our grade for the relay and I was super nervous...and almost dropped the baton as a result. Haha.

      Delete