TBT: Ohanami (Japan, 1989)



#ThrowbackThursday

My in-laws just returned from their trip to Japan. I think it was their first trip to Japan as adults, so they were in awe of the wonderful hospitality, delicious and beautiful presentation of their food, as well as the gorgeous sites they experienced. It was really cute because they'd text us throughout their trip and send us photos of the places they were visiting that day, as well as photos of the food they ordered; we could tell how giddy they were! Luckily, they were able to visit during the sakura (cherry blossoms) season!

Looking at their photos reminded me of my own experience of ohanami (cherry blossom viewing) as a child. It was one of my favorite things to look forward to after the cold, wintery months. It was a reminder that it was spring once again. Each spring, my family and I strolled through the park to look at these magnificent cherry blossoms, ate lunch al fresco (usually under one of the cherry blossom trees), and spent quality time together. I distinctly remember at one point, I gathered the fallen sakura petals and then threw it in the air like it was snowing. I garnered tremendous joy from such simple things.

Here's a photo of me in 1989 during ohanami season. Funny, some things never change: my love for polka dots and need to carry snacks with me at all times.


Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hi there! My husband and I are newlyweds ♥ We adopted our beagle, Louie, in 2011. This blog allows me to chronicle our lives together as a family. Thank you for stopping by! WWW.KIDGRANNY.BLOGSPOT.COM

4 comments :

  1. oh how wonderful of you to have experienced this! i would love to! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this time of the year in Japan as a child :) Do they have something similar to ohanami in Korea?

      Delete
  2. I love polka dots and snacks as well haha :P
    You look really cute :) Xx

    ReplyDelete