TBT: My First Niece (California, 2006)






#ThrowbackThursday

My very first niece was born in the fall of 2006. Here's a photo of the day she was just delivered.

I remember that day I was still in college, and I got a call from my mom that my oldest sister finally delivered her baby. My mom mentioned to me that she was a healthy, beautiful girl.
I had a class to attend, but I just gathered my belongings and left right away. We had a strict "3 absences in a semester and you're kicked out" policy in college, but I figured I could take that risk since I hadn't been absent before and the semester was about to come to a close.

I held my niece for the first time and I remember thinking, "She is so warm. And soft. But strong. She must take after my sister." My oldest sister has a very petite frame, but she is one of the strongest people I know. She can lift heavy furniture --no problem-- and she can throw a mean punch if she wanted to. I wish I could say the same for myself, but I'm the complete opposite. Anyway, while I was holding my niece, she wiggled and gave me a pretty hard kick in my arms, as if to say, "You're not cradling me right! Take me back to momma."
I don't know how to put this lightly, but my niece went through that typical "terrible two's" period -- except it started when she was about six months old and lasted until she was about three-and-a-half. My sister and her husband doted on her --understandably so, considering she was their first child-- but it was to the point where my niece had a terrible separation anxiety anytime she was not held by my sister or had my sister's full attention.

My niece started changing for the better once she started attending daycare and had daily interactions with other children. What a sigh of relief! :)

Now, my niece is already 9 years old. Her favorite sport is basketball, but her passion is being part of the cheer squad. She loves the Dork Diaries -- she always thanks me every time we see each other for gifting her with the series for her birthday last year. She likes Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, and Katy Perry. She is goofy, charming, and is really considerate of others -- maybe because she has two younger siblings now. There are a lot of times that she surprises me with her innocence and kindness -- a good reminder for me to be more like that too. On our wedding day, before her family was getting ready to leave the premises, she ran up to me and said, "Aunty Cindy, congratulations! You are so beautiful." She is beautiful. I'm so happy and thankful to have a niece like her.



Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hi there! My husband and I are newlyweds ♥ We adopted our beagle, Louie, in 2011. This blog allows me to chronicle our lives together as a family. Thank you for stopping by! WWW.KIDGRANNY.BLOGSPOT.COM

4 comments :

  1. How sweet! And how time flies! Already 9! But I love how you still have these wonderful memories of when you first held her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's hard to believe that she's already nine years old :O Before I know it, she's going to be a young lady soon!

      Delete
  2. What a sweet sweet post about your niece. I love how you skipped classes just to see her, she is so lucky to have you as an Aunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Trishie! I'll always have a soft spot for my first niece :)

      Delete