Happy 2015!

Happy 2015!

I am usually not one to set new year's resolutions, but I decided that I want to be happy and healthy this year. That's my main goal for the entire year, and hopefully it will carry on throughout the remainder of my life. Of course, there will most likely be some bad days mixed in with the good, but by keeping certain things on my radar and acting proactively, I'll have a better chance of having more good days than bad days!

I believe that health and happiness come hand-in-hand. It's difficult to be happy when you're unhealthy/ill, don't you agree? The path leading to a happy and healthy lifestyle is probably not the same for everyone, but I'd bet the common grounds are physical well-being (diet/nutrition/exercise), finance/organization, and mental awareness. I'm going to try my best to be proactive about these three key items throughout the year to live the happy and healthy lifestyle I strive for.


Physical Well-Being Via Diet/Nutirition/Exercise

Every year I always tend to overindulge during the holiday festivities, starting from Thanksgiving to New Year's Eve. My birthday is during that period too, so that adds to the overindulgence.

Celery root -- a first for me!

I have been following The Food Lover's Cleanse since January 2nd and I've encouraged my husband to join me. I'm sure there will be times when I will be derailed from these clean eating habits due to time constraints/laziness/not wanting to cook, but we've been doing well so far! Even after the two week cleanse, I will try my best to reach for clean foods rather than junk food this year. Clean eating leads to good health, which will lead me to happiness :)


Root vegetables: carrots, parsnips, and celery root. Tossed in olive oil and seasoned with S & P.
Waiting for the root vegetables to roast
I will also make a conscious effort to stretch and exercise more often this year. These two are key to lower my anxiety and stress.

Finance/Organization

Last year I aggressively started to take better control of my finances, especially because my husband and I had to save for our wedding. We vowed not to be cash poor as newlyweds and stuck to our budget for the wedding. To stick to the budget, I significantly decreased the amount of frivolous spending on myself and/or each other, had more "stay-cations," and I prepared my lunch during the weekdays to avoid eating out. I also purchased gifts for my friends, families, and co-workers throughout the year (for birthdays/holidays) so that I could avoid spending a lot of cash in one specific month.

The makings of a beet soup - part 1

I think I will continue to use the above tactics to organize my finances, but I'm adding one more challenge this year: the 52 Week Money Challenge. The concept is simple -- save a certain amount each week for every week in the year to save close to $1,400. I've decided to use the reversal tracker so that I save larger deposits early on, and by week 52 I'll only have to save a dollar! Making small changes and taking charge of my personal finances will for sure help me stay happy throughout the year.

The makings of a beet soup - part 2

The makings of a beet soup - part 3

Mental Awareness

I'm also going to do a little mental exercise and answers these questions from Our Body Book. I have to remind myself that it's important to be honest with these answers, and revisit them every few months throughout the year to see how my mental awareness has been.

How did I bring joy to others in 2014?
Hard question right off the bat! I believe it was the simple things that I did to bring joy to others in 2014 -- like spending quality time with people, being sincere, donating when I could, and sharing photos and stories of Louie, our beagle.

What wasn’t working for me in 2014? What habit/relationship/feeling could I let go of in 2015?
I have to admit that commuting to work really took a toll on me in 2014. It put me in a bad mood whenever I was stuck in traffic, and the long car ride often times made me feel nauseated. On really bad days, the bad commute lead me to a downward emotional and physical spiral of being too tired to cook dinner/ prep for the next day/ and/or go to the gym which lead me to be disappointed and unhappy with myself. It helps that I have a carpool buddy now. I also try to prep our dinners in advance so that I don't have to spend so much time in the kitchen after work.

A habit that I could let go of in 2015 is comparing myself to others. This is going to be rather difficult for me, but I will try!


My vision for 2015 looks like….(be as specific as you can be!)
 Be happy and healthy!

How can I bring more of a “yes” mentality to my life?
 Be open to new ideas/opportunities and new people.

What makes me happy/”light up”?
 Spending time with loved ones and also recharging by having ample alone time (I am naturally an introvert).


List 5 things you are grateful for in this moment.
  1.  No major health issues yet
  2.  Loving and trusting relationship with my husband
  3.  Unconditional love and support from friends and family members
  4.  Louie
  5.  Employment/stable income with benefits
How can I bring more playfulness and adventure into my life?
Continue to plan ahead and organize, but also encourage spontaneity.
Ta-da! Beet soup & arugula salad with roasted root vegetables and a poached egg.

Here's to another great year :) Cheers!

Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hi there! My husband and I are newlyweds ♥ We adopted our beagle, Louie, in 2011. This blog allows me to chronicle our lives together as a family. Thank you for stopping by! WWW.KIDGRANNY.BLOGSPOT.COM

8 comments :

  1. Great resolution! Love the one about being playful, that's something we so rarely strive for but it is key to our well-being.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your eats here look super healthy. And I love your outlook for this year. I wish you success and also some really great learning moments as well! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you happiness and health. Fantastic goals you've set here. I'm intrigued by the 52 week money challenge. Looks very do-able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trishie! If you'd like, please join me on the 52 week money challenge :)

      Delete
  4. Great resolution that everybody should have: happy and healthiness!
    I'm cheering you on with your goals and your healthy cooking looking
    good as well! Xx

    ReplyDelete