Honeymoon: Barcelona | Antoni Gaudi

After I returned to the office from our honeymoon, I handed out magnets that had Gaudi's work printed on as souvenirs to my colleagues . One of them blurted out, "Oh no...I hate Gaudi!...But...Thank you!" Haha. I found this person's reaction to be humorous rather than insulting, because this individual is very straightforward and honest with one's comments. I replied, "I guess you'll always be reminded of him when you open the fridge then! :)" I think it's one of those things where it's black or white -- you either only see beauty in Gaudi's work or you think it is hideous. And hey -- to each his own! For me, I loved being immersed in Gaudi's world. This post is dedicated to some of the beautiful pieces we were lucky enough to experience while in Barcelona.


Casa Batllo - also known to the locals as casa dels ossos (house of bones), as it has an organic and skeletal quality that is inherent in Gaudi's work. The roof is arched and likened to the scaly back of a dragon. The home was originally built in 1877 by another architect, and the owner of the home at the time (Mr. Batllo) commissioned Gaudi to refurbish it between 1904 to 1906. Casa Batllo eventually passed from the Batllo ownership in the 1950's, after having suffered significant damages during the civil war. Since the 1990's, the current owners have made a tremendous effort to restore the home. In 2002, the home has welcomed the general public for cultural visits.


the facade
the interior of the Noble Floor, facing the Passeig de Gracia
mushroom shaped fireplace, which housed a bench on each side -- one for the caretaker and the other for a couple.

skylights
hallway
Gaudi was very particular with every detail -- he even designed this manuscript for the doors himself.
view from the rooftop terrace

*         *         *           *         *         *


We also had the opportunity to visit Parc Guell. It was built roughly between 1900 to 1914, and it was originally envisioned to be a self-contained community for the wealthy. The site is close to an affluent neighborhood called La Salut (The Health), with fresh air (far away from factories that produced smog) and spectacular views of the city. However, there was not enough interest at the time to make it a success. It has since been converted into a municipal garden.


Isn't it awe-inspiring?

From 1906 to 1926, Gaudi lived in one of the two homes that were ever completed in Parc Guell (not designed by Gaudi). It is now the Gaudi House Museum.

I think what I love about Gaudi's spaces the most is how you can really tell he was so true to his visions. I think his spaces are like those intriguing, mind-bending movies that you want to keep watching over and over to find new clues that you missed out on the first time around.

Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hi there! My husband and I are newlyweds ♥ We adopted our beagle, Louie, in 2011. This blog allows me to chronicle our lives together as a family. Thank you for stopping by! WWW.KIDGRANNY.BLOGSPOT.COM

6 comments :

  1. I didn't know who Gaudi was but I definitely recognize the house. So interesting! I love the hallway, skylights and that fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love that he created all these nooks and crannies for intimate moments, like those benches inside the mushroom fireplace.

      Delete
  2. I think Gaudi's work is magnificent. One day I hope to travel to Barcelona to see his works in person

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh Gaudi! an architect that was so ahead of his time ... perhaps even our time. What a wonderful place for honeymoon, hope you had the time of your lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think his ideas were so ahead of his time! & thank you -- we had the best time :)

      Delete