Honeymoon: Barcelona | La Sagrada Familia

We have returned from our honeymoon in Europe and boy, it was an adventure! We visited two cities each in Spain (Barcelona & Madrid) and in France (Caen & Paris).  We always wanted to visit Europe before we started a family (because let's face it...it would be very expensive to travel with a family!), so we thought it would be the best location for our honeymoon. 

Our first stop was Barcelona, Spain. Out of the four cities that we visited, I have to say that Barcelona was my favorite city. It was vibrant, interesting, and the locals were so friendly and polite! I could sense that the locals very much appreciate and take pride in their historical landmarks, and rightfully so! Barcelona is home to many of Antoni Gaudi (a Spanish Catalan architect)'s masterpieces. My professor in college shared photos of Gaudi's work to me, but at the time I did not fully understand the scale of his work nor fully appreciate the integrity of his masterpieces. When I visited his landmarks in person, I was blown away. The grandiose scale. The intricate details and the carefully thought out nooks and crannies. The seemingly impossible physics of the undulating structures. That whimsical feeling, but knowing how much time and thought was put into his plans. I felt as if I was living in surrealism everytime I came across his buildings.

When people think of Gaudi, they associate him with La Sagrada Familia. It is a Roman Catholic church which commenced construction in 1882 and Gaudi became involved in the project starting in 1883. Gaudi worked on La Sagrada until his death in 1926, and since then his plans have been executed by various architects. It is still under construction, with an anticipated completion date in 2026. The church has always been an expiatory church, which means that it has been financed by donations. It truly is a must-see!




view of the Nativity facade

view of the Passion Facade

the interior
stained glass
the columns remind us of  large trees in a forest


I'm missing it already, looking at these photos! One tip if you plan to visit La Sagrada -- purchase your tickets in advance to avoid the huuuuuge queue! & try to visit the tower if at all possible - we weren't able to this time, but maybe sometime in the distant future...

Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hi there! My husband and I are newlyweds ♥ We adopted our beagle, Louie, in 2011. This blog allows me to chronicle our lives together as a family. Thank you for stopping by! WWW.KIDGRANNY.BLOGSPOT.COM

8 comments :

  1. Sounds like a wonderful cultural honeymoon c:
    I'd love to visit Barcelona someday! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly an experience! I'd totally recommend you to visit Barcelona one day -- such a great city!

      Delete
  2. What a great experience, so much character to these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We loved Barcelona -- so rich & full of history!

      Delete
  3. Amazing! I wish you and Damaris and Dani over at The Cat You & Us were able to connect beforehand! ;) I would love to visit that beautiful city one day! Hopefully! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! If you ever do, please let me know your experience :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures! Love your writing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete