DIY Screen Printing

Back in early December, I dragged my fiance to this event called Unique LA in downtown Los Angeles. I had so much fun browsing through all of the charming, handmade, one-of-a-kind items from various vendors (my fiance, not so much)! I bought a gold necklace with a beagle silhouette for myself :) I also purchased a variety of jams for my parents' Christmas gift, and even ran into my college classmate who is now running his own non-profit site, Greenaid


In my humble opinion, the best booth at Unique LA was The Unincorporated Life. They were offering a free DIY screen printing class {it would normally cost $75}so we jumped at the opportunity to learn from the best! The instructors had pre-made templates, but I wanted to create a one-of-a-kind design. I thought about designing something for our wedding, but I decided to create a design with our beagle, Louie, in mind. 


Step one: 
Come up with your design and sketch. Then insert the organza fabric into the hoop and tighten it. Stencil your sketch onto the organza fabric.


Step two: 
Paint the negative space with a mixture of modge-podge and food color. Wait for it to dry completely.

Step three: 
Grab your choice of medium (I chose a T-shirt) and fabric paint and roll it on!



My fiance made a Snoopy tote bag for me :) The quality of the photos are not stellar because it was taken with my old phone.



And there you have it! A custom, one-of-a-kind T-shirt and tote bag. I'm really happy with the results, being that it was our first time screen printing!



Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Hi there! My husband and I are newlyweds ♥ We adopted our beagle, Louie, in 2011. This blog allows me to chronicle our lives together as a family. Thank you for stopping by! WWW.KIDGRANNY.BLOGSPOT.COM

4 comments :

  1. how neat!! i love how louie is such a big part of your lives. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is <3 We love her so much.

      Delete
  2. This event sounds fun but more surprising
    how this booth offering free DIY! I'd participated
    as well c: the sketch of the dog is really cute
    and I like the print! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It's one of my favorite T-shirts now! It's an annual event (they have one in SF, NYC, and LA) and yes, it was loads of fun (maybe not for the guys, haha)!

      Delete